Bluecoat C of E Primary School
Borough Road, Great Torrington, Devon, EX38 7NU Telephone: 01805 622333
Click logo below to access Bluecoat @ Home:
Important Information (updated 01.06.2020):
We are continuing to monitor the official Government guidance relating to the ongoing Coronavirus outbreak to ensure that we act in the very best interests of our school community. Please see latest updates and useful information below:
- Following the Government announcement on 10th May, the school will partially re-open only to pupils who have indicated a wish to return in the specified cohorts from Wednesday 3rd June as follows:
- Bluecoat Group, Nursery and Year 6 - start on Wednesday 3rd June and will remain in school full-time until the end of the Summer term.
- Reception Tavy (Red) and Torridge (Blue) only - start on Monday 8th June and will attend on a week on, week off basis. Reception Taw (Green) and Tamar (Yellow) only - start on Monday 15th June and will also attend on the alternate week on, week off basis until the end of the Summer term. This is due to the high number of Reception pupils seeking to return and will ensure both that we can keep them safe and that they can continue to be with their own class teacher.
- Year 1 - start on Wednesday 10th June and remain in school full-time until the end of the Summer term.
- The ‘Bluecoat at Home’ Learning Programme will continue for all pupils not attending school in person and can be supplemented by lessons from Espresso, BBC Bitesize and the Oak National Academy.
- The situation will be continually reviewed and should there become an increased risk to the school community or a spike in the local infection rates, there may be a requirement to reduce the numbers in school again so it is important that families have contingency arrangements in place.
- Headteacher update - 27.05.2020
- Letter from Dawn Stabb, Head of Education and Learning at Devon County Council
- Provision will continue for children of key workers (as defined by the government), vulnerable children and, where appropriate, those with EHCPs.
- What parents and carers need to know about schools and other education settings during the coronavirus outbreak - Government Guidance
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Public Health Information
- Information for children from Public Health and short animation to help explain Coronavirus.
- Resources to help children understand Coronavirus - Devon County Council
- Please be mindful of the latest government advice regarding travel which can be found at: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-stay-at-home-guidance and at https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice .
Welcome to Bluecoat
We are an Early Years specialist school with a Christian ethos which offers a safe, secure, and caring environment within which children aged 2 to 11 years can grow and learn. Our school is a spiritually vibrant learning community. We believe that learning should be a rewarding and enjoyable experience for everyone; we listen to our children and start from an understanding of their needs, views and experiences. Through our teaching we focus on equipping children with the confidence, skills, knowledge and understanding necessary to make informed choices about the issues they face in every area of their lives. We create a learning environment in which they can safely challenge their limitations and explore the opportunities the world has to offer. We provide opportunities which extend their experience of the world and raise their aspirations. We value childhood whilst promoting a lifelong love of learning. This is done through recognition and celebration of the new things we learn together every day. We believe that appropriate teaching and learning experiences help children and adults lead happy and rewarding lives.
Our school holds Early Years Teaching Centre status and actively supports the development of high quality Early Years provision within our local area. We are a partner school for Devon Primary SCITT, helping to train high quality teachers as well as being involved in the development and delivery of the new Early Years SCITT programme.
Parents and carers are always welcome in our school. We actively seek your involvement and want to work with you, in partnership, to ensure the best possible educational outcomes for your children.
Great Torrington Bluecoat C of E Primary School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the well-being of children, young people and their families. We expect all governors, staff, students and volunteers to share this responsibility.
The protection of children within our care is our first responsibility and will supersede all other considerations. Please see our Safeguarding Policy below and visit our 'Keeping Children Safe' page for more information and details of our safeguarding team.